[Bridge] Ethernet+Wireless Bridge?

"Peter Valdemar Mørch (Lists)" 4ux6as402 at sneakemail.com
Tue Apr 29 03:29:42 PDT 2008

First of all, thank you again for taking the time to consider my
unsubstantiated wishes.

John W. Linville linville-at-tuxdriver.com |Lists| wrote:
> That is a very specialized device and so it is probably using some
> form of L2 NAT.  I wonder for example if it even supports multiple
> devices attached to it's ethernet port?

Ok, my wireless expert friend (a windows guy) was surprised that
bridging between ethernet and wireless wasn't straightforward in linux.
He says it is trivial and works in Windows, supported by this:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/crawford_02april22.mspx
I'll try it next time I get the chance.

> It is possible on Linux, but not with a mac80211-based device using
> a stock kernel.

Ok, I can feel I'm getting stubborn now, and if you are beginning to
consider me a troll, just don't reply, and I'll bugger off for now!

I just still don't get it. I'll accept that it involves "black magic" in
Linux but is trivial with Windows or with Linksys. To my surprise.

Otherwise, can you suggest some reading I can do to understand what
Windows and Linksys does but that Linux can not do with a mac80211-based
device using a stock kernel? What is "L2 NAT"? Is it acting as an access
point (Even though other wireless devices can't connect to it)? WDS
sound to me to have many interoperability problems, that Linksys and
Windows apparently do not suffer from. I'm still clueless, I'm affraid.

Thanks a lot for your attention whatever the outcome.

Peter
--
Peter Valdemar Mørch
http://www.morch.com