[Bridge] frame destinated to individual port MAC address

Malcolm Scott Malcolm.Scott at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Aug 15 13:17:27 PDT 2008

At 22:06 today, Benoit PAPILLAULT wrote:

> I am in a very preliminary phase, trying to learn how to implement
> routing and bridging under Linux. In order for the routing protocol to
> have proper topology view, it somehow needs to assign a unique IP on all
> interfaces and for bridging and those interfaces needs to be in the same
> bridge.

By my understanding (and it's a while since I read that paper so I might be
wrong) you don't need unique IP addresses on all interfaces; everything uses
MAC addresses.  To quote section 4.2 of the draft:

    o  it runs directly over Layer 2, so therefore may be run with zero
       configuration (no IP addresses need to be assigned)

--
Malcolm Scott
Research Assistant