[Bridge] Bridging under vmware esx 3.0

Elias Chatzigeorgiou echatzigeorgiou at youtravel.com
Thu Aug 14 14:50:05 PDT 2008

Hello,
    I tried to setup a bridge in a (debian-based) virtual machine using esx server. I added two nics on my vm connected then in two different networks and used the bridge utility (brctl) to bridge them. I gave the bridge an ip address so that it would be visible from the network.

I can access both networks from that vm, and machines on both networks can access the vm.

BUT PACKETS from net1 do not reach net2 and vise-versa.

I have no ip/ebtable rules and /proc/sys/net/bridge/* files are set to zero.

As a last check, I used tcpdump to dump packets comming from e.g. the net1 to the attached nic (eth0) and they seem to reach only if eth0 is not part of the bridge.

PLEASE ADVISE.

Thanks
Elias Chatzigeorgiou