[Bridge] frame destinated to individual port MAC address

Stephen Hemminger shemminger at vyatta.com
Fri Aug 15 13:31:38 PDT 2008

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 21:17:27 +0100 (BST)
Malcolm Scott <Malcolm.Scott at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> At 22:06 today, Benoit PAPILLAULT wrote:
>
> > I am in a very preliminary phase, trying to learn how to implement
> > routing and bridging under Linux. In order for the routing protocol to
> > have proper topology view, it somehow needs to assign a unique IP on all
> > interfaces and for bridging and those interfaces needs to be in the same
> > bridge.
>
> By my understanding (and it's a while since I read that paper so I might be
> wrong) you don't need unique IP addresses on all interfaces; everything uses
> MAC addresses.  To quote section 4.2 of the draft:
>
>     o  it runs directly over Layer 2, so therefore may be run with zero
>        configuration (no IP addresses need to be assigned)

It looks an implementation or rbridge would do:
  1. Set STP to "user mode" similar to user mode RSTP
  2. Set IP address on bridge device (same as normal)
  3. Run routing daemon with multiple sockets that use SO_BINDTODEVICE
     to receive the packets by interface
  4. Routing daemon would manage bridged interface state (blocking, forwarding, etc)