[Bridge] brctl project

Stephen Hemminger shemminger at linux-foundation.org
Wed Dec 3 11:35:17 PST 2008

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 18:47:14 +0100
Christian Salgado González <chrisalga at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> My name is Christian Salgado, I am studying computer engeneering, this is my last year and I am doing my final Project.
> I have sent you a previous email, but I think that you have not understood my problem. I will try to explain you:
> (3 pcs)
> I have a Pc,called "switch" running brctl(3 interfaces: 2 ethernet and one wifi card, ath0, using Mafwifi).
> Other Pc,called client Pc, with two interfaces(wlan0 and eth0),at this computer I have ifenslave bounding both interfaces.
> A pc called server.
> When I send a media stream from the server to the client, through the switch(brctl), Ifenslave makes load balancing (mode 0 is the only one which I am able to use). To know when ifenslave change the operation interface I have used wireshark. It is very simply, when the client receive a ping request ifenslave answer it one time on eth0 and the next on wlan0.  Then brctl learn which is the interface to forward the data.
>
> I think that changing the interface sending a ping is not a good way of doing things. This is the reason why I am writing to you.
> Please, correct me if I am wrong, but I think that brctl join the interfaces assigning the same port number  to both interfaces.
>   1     00:11:22:33:44:55       yes                0.00
>   1     00:aa:ff:ff:ff:ff       no                 5.81

Two interfaces should never have same port number (at least as far as bridge is
concerned).

>   2     00:11:11:11:11:11       yes                0.00
>

> For example in the previous table there is a connection between the 2 first interfaces.
>
> Could be possible change the port number of   00:aa:....:ff   to 2 ?

Port number only matters to STP, which you probably are not using.

> In that case it will be on the same network as 00:11...:11,  isn't it??

Two active interfaces on same network with bridge is equivalent to forwarding
loop. You need to run STP, and have only one active interface.

> I have been looking at the code of brtcl and I have found the struc fdb. What do you think that it is the best way of doing it??

Yes you can go do what you want with the code, but this is really one
of those: "I think I can hack the bridge code to do my own personal
idea of special case routing"

My answer to this is: "have fun, tell us what you find out, don't expect any support"