[Bridge] unidirectional traffic and flooding

Alexander (Sasha) Sirotkin sasha.sirotkin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 05:19:06 PST 2008

Suppose there is a unidirectional traffic only (for instance UDP) to one of
the devices connected to a bridge. At the beginning, the bridge will learn
the location of this device from gracious ARP. However, after the timeout
the bridge will forget this information and since there is no traffic from
that device (remember, the traffic is unidirectional, i.e. to the device
only) it will start flooding... and will continue to do so forever.

I have a feeling that I must be not the first person to encounter this
problem. Any ideas ?