[Bridge] Bridging troubles

George - giorger at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 27 11:07:37 PST 2008

Hallo.
I am trying to establish a bridge on my debian linux box between an ethernet and a wireless interface, in order to be able to connect to the bridge via my laptop's wireless. My laptop has WinXP.

Well, i have a bridge which i created by

brctl addbr br0
brctl addif eth1 (Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82562ET/EZ/GT/GZ - PRO/100 VE (LOM) Ethernet Controller (rev 03))
brctl addif eth4 (Network controller: RaLink RT2500 802.11g Cardbus/mini-PCI (rev 01))

I am connected through eth1 to a router and I want to bridge this two connections in order to connect remotely from my laptop's wireless card which is an Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965 AGN.
My last steps are to

dhclient br0
echo "0"> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT

I was able to connect from my laptop, and router's dhcp worked fine. But here my problems start. I tried to ping my linux box and i was successful. I captured arp, dhcp packets. But when I am trying to ping my router (from my laptop), I fail. I try to catch packets with tcpdump -i br0 -vvvv|grep laptop_ip but it seems as if packets never get to my linux box. I found out about some kind of shapping so i also tried the following

for f in `ls /proc/sys/net/bridge/`; do echo "0"> /proc/sys/net/bridge/$f ;cat /proc/sys/net/bridge/$f;done

but no good. My linux box can access Internet with no problem. My cards are ok, since the same configuration with a WinXP box (instead of debian) works.
Are there any ideas?

Giwrgos