[Bridge] kernel doesn't support bridge with a ppp interface ?

Malcolm Scott Malcolm.Scott at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jun 18 08:09:40 PDT 2008

At 21:02 today, c.j wrote:

>> You can setup a tunnel with OpenVPN. You'd get a tap device on
>> both sides which can be bridged with eth.
> Thanks. But maybe we don't want OpenVPN for VPN. Now I can't get why kernel
> do not support that. Have some disadvantages?

I'm not sure if this is even possible using standard protocols.  Bridging is
for Ethernet; PPP is not Ethernet.  So this would require some sort of
nonstandard Ethernet-over-PPP encapsulation protocol, and would only make
sense if the PPP devices at both ends of the link talked this protocol.

This sounds like a job for something outside the kernel, e.g. OpenVPN as
suggested or a simpler Ethernet-over-IP tunnelling app.

Malcolm

--
Malcolm Scott
Research Assistant