[Bridge] Queries about Bridging

Sibu Thomas Mathew sibumatrix at rediffmail.com
Sun Jun 22 07:05:30 PDT 2008

Sir,
I shared internet on a LAN using my machine. It has got two ethernet cards. I installed Ubuntu 8.04. I did the bridging using "bridge-utils". Even though it turned out to be successful, I came across certain other problems:
1) I couldn't use the internet using my machine.
2) After every restart, I had to redo the whole bridging configuration.

This is how i configured.
The two ethernet cards are eth0 and eth1. eth1 is the one connected to the internet. This is what I typed:
    brctl addbr br0
    brctl addif br0 eth0
    brctl addif br0 eth1
    ifconfig br0 up
Then i edited the /etc/network/interfaces as follows:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

    iface eth0 inet dhcp

    auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet dhcp

    auto br0
    iface br0 inet dhcp

After that i restarted the service by typing
        /etc/init.d/networking restart
The bridging worked. The client machine could access the internet except mine i.e. the server. Where did I go wrong? What can I do to solve this.

Looking forward for a solution.
Thanking you.

Yours sincerely,
Sibu Thomas Mathew