[Bridge] STP bug, loop not detetcted

Francesco Dolcini fdolcini at sysnetsistemi.it
Thu May 8 02:04:11 PDT 2008

Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 02:16 +0000, richardvoigt at gmail.com wrote:
>> If a bridge receives one of its own STP packets on the same interface
>> from which it was sent, that indicates a loop elsewhere in the network
>> that disabling an interface locally will not fix, therefore STP takes
>> no action.
>
> I see, would it hurt something else if STP did turn off it interface in
> this case? Optical i/f's is getting more common so these types of loops
> will increase so I think this needs to be addressed.

cisco and others solved this kind of problem using proprietary
unidirectional link detection protocols (see cisco informational rfc
5171 for example). No standard exists as far as I know (BFD rfc does not
consider the layer 2 case).

I am working on an custom udld protocol implementation at the moment ...

> Any chance Rapid STP will fix my problem?
no