[Bridge] Bridging VLANs and PVST+

Joao Pedro countzero at sapo.pt
Tue Nov 25 09:11:34 PST 2008

(Sorry, forgot to CC the list).

Hi Geoff, thank you for your answer.

Geoff Wiener <gwiener at aenigmacorp.com> wrote:
I've had this very issue.  I know that 2.6.24-16 allows PVST BPDUs to
cross the bridge.  Linux won't speak Cisco PVST+ but it will pass the
BPDU's so that Cisco devices on both sides can communicate about the
link state.
But isn't that part of the problem?
Imagine this situation, I have:
1 physical interface - eth0;
2 virtual lan interfaces - vlan15 and vlan16.
1 bridge - br0 - bridging vlan15 and vlan16.

The reason I have to filter the PVST+ BPDUs out (with ebtables) is
that, when the Cisco switch sees a BDPU on VLAN 15 that belonged
originally to VLAN 16, it will assume a loop was detected and shut
down the switch port where eth0 is connected. If Linux could convert
the VLAN 15 BDPU to a VLAN 16 BDPU, before sending it to VLAN 16, I
believe the problem would be solved.

Regards,
JP