[Bridge] bridge is not forwarding the packet <Urgent, Please reply ASAP>

rahul bhardwaj rahul_bhardwaj36in at yahoo.co.in
Mon Sep 22 03:54:00 PDT 2008

Hello to all,

I am stating my problem below in detail so that you all can understand it properly.

I am having setup of Linux box. In that box I am having one Ethernet interface eth0 and one wireless interface ath0. I have also configured one vlan port as eth0.100 with the help of vconfig (vconfig add eth 100).  Now I have created two bridges br1 and br100. I have added eth0 into br1 so br1 is having only one interface. I have added ath0 and eth0.100 into br100. Physically eth0 is connected to a switch which is configured to handle vlan 100. DHCP server is also running into that switch to provide IP address to wireless stations. This is all about my setup.

After this I am associating one wireless station with the ath0. After successful association station issues a dhclient to get ip address, which reaches to ath0 interface of my Linux box. ath0 bridges that request to eth0.100. Now eth0.100 adds it's vlan tags and forward that request to the switch. Because switch is configured to support vlan 100, so it process the dhcp request and send back the dhcp response with vlan tag 100.

Now I don't know but this response is not reaching to ath0. I have putted wireshark and figured out that those dhcp responses are reaching on eth0 and as eth0 is part of br1 so this packet is reaching to br1 which is just discarding them all. So the wireless station is not getting the ip address. According to me eth0 should give these packets to eth0.100 port instead of br1. Or what I mean to say first vlan handling should be done priror then  bridge handling. Do I need to change something into Linux kernel for that or there is some other problem with my setup?

Can anybody help me in this? If anybody want more detail I will provide. I am using Linux 2.6.15 kernel. Any kind of help will be much appreciated.

With Regards

Rahul Bhardwaj