[Bridge] bridge is not forwarding the packet

rahul bhardwaj rahul_bhardwaj36in at yahoo.co.in
Tue Sep 23 06:31:41 PDT 2008

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your very prompt response!

Actually my
problem is not related to MAC address restrictions from wireless
interface/driver. The problem lies mainly in multiple bridges for different vlans.
Since bridging happens first, the packet ends up on wrong bridge and gets
discarded form that bridge.  If Vlan
handling is done prior to bridge handling, my setup will work fine.

There is
also another thing which I did not understand. When we add an interface to
vlan, the newly created interface’s hard_header is set to vlan_dev_hard_header
function. This vlan_dev_hard_header adds the vlan tag for outing packet.

Interestingly
this happens after bridging code hand over the packet to interface. Conversely when
the packet is received, interface should remove the vlan tag and hand over the
packet to bridge. But we are seeing that bridge code is executing prior to vlan
handling.

Regards,

Rahul Bhardwaj