[Bridge] bridge is not forwarding the packet

Leigh Sharpe lsharpe at pacificwireless.com.au
Wed Sep 24 16:23:58 PDT 2008

Hi Rahul,
 If you're certain that your problem isn't as Stephen suggested, you
might want to have a look at this:

---

(From http://ebtables.sourceforge.net/brnf-faq.html
<http://ebtables.sourceforge.net/brnf-faq.html>  )

How do I let vlan-tagged traffic go through a vlan bridge port and the
other traffic through a non-vlan bridge port?

Suppose eth0 and eth0.15 are ports of br0. Without countermeasures all
traffic, including traffic vlan-tagged with tag 15, entering the

physical device eth0 will go through the bridge port eth0. To make the
15-tagged traffic go through the eth0.15 bridge port, use the following

ebtables rule:

ebtables -t broute -A BROUTING -i eth0 --vlan-id 15 -j DROP

With the above rule, 15-tagged traffic will enter the bridge on the
physical device eth0, will then be brouted and enter the bridge port
eth0.15, the vlan header will be stripped, after which the packet is
bridged. The packet thus enters the BROUTING chain twice, the first time
with input device eth0 and the second time with input device eth0.15.

The other chains are only traversed once. All other traffic will be
bridged with input device eth0.

----

This describes how to make sure your VLAN tagged traffic ends up on the
bridge you want.