[Bridge] NIC unicast macs table manipulation by bridge

Or Gerlitz ogerlitz at voltaire.com
Wed Apr 22 07:18:42 PDT 2009

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009, Or Gerlitz wrote:

> Using a Linux bridge I see that none of the interfaces is set to promiscuous mode

OKay, sorry for that. I was looking (2.6.29) on the output of /sbin/ifconfig
which is installed on my system through net-tools-1.60-73 - seems like it
ignores the IFF_PROMISC bit. Now, when looking on the device sysfs flags,
I see now the IFF_PROMISC (0x100) bit being set.

It turns out that this ifconfig is even more misleading, using
$ ifconfig eth1 promisc and later -promisc makes the output to show as now the
device is in the promiscuous state, and with -promisc as it doesn't - but in both
cases, the IFF_PROMISC bit setting done by the bridge remains steady
that is both interfaces connected to the bridge have the 0x1103 flags bit mask...

As for my other question - is there a method to display dev->uc_list
(e.g similar to /proc/net/dev_mcast)?

thanks,

Or.