[Bridge] Ubuntu: network bridging between wireless and wired connection fails

Ross Vandegrift ross at kallisti.us
Tue Apr 28 06:37:02 PDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 02:52:10PM +0200, Jochen Hebbrecht wrote:
> 2009/4/28 Ross Vandegrift <ross at kallisti.us>:
> > On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 08:44:50AM +0200, Jochen Hebbrecht wrote:
> >> Thnx Richard! I will try this when I'm back home.
> >>
> >> So the configuration is good? I just need to:
> >>
> >> $ ifconfig br0 up
> >> $ dhclient br0
> >
> > That will work, but note that you configured the bridge in the Debian
> > interfaces file:

> > So now all you need to do is "ifup br0" to activate it and "ifdown
> > br0" to deactivate it.
>
> Okay, thnx!
>
> Just a small question, I think I need to configure eth0 and eth1 to
> manual? And not to DHCP?
>
> Like this:
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet manual
>
> auto eth1
> iface eth1 inet manual

Ah - I missed that.  Yes, you definitely want to set the member
interfaces to manual.

> The thing I don't understand then: if you execute a dhclient on br0,
> how does br0 know the configuration of eth1? Because there's a WPA2
> configuration on it. Will it use that settings too while bridging?

I'll be honest, I'm not sure - I've never done that with
wpa_supplicant and the debian tools.  You might need to activate
wpa_supplicant in the pre-up for br0.

Check out the manpage for interfaces - it may have more details.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at kallisti.us

"If the fight gets hot, the songs get hotter.  If the going gets tough,
the songs get tougher."
	--Woody Guthrie