[Bridge] Ubuntu: network bridging between wireless and wired connection fails

richardvoigt at gmail.com richardvoigt at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 21:18:04 PDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 9:21 PM, Jochen Hebbrecht <jochenhebbrecht at gmail.com
> wrote:

>  Ross Vandegrift schreef:
>
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 06:40:25PM +0200, Jochen Hebbrecht wrote:
>

>  Yes, it is plugged in ( Ubuntu says: link is ready ).
> I also tried statically, but no improvements :-( ...
>

>  Is your wireless access point also bridging between the wired and the
> wireless?  If so, then you have two bridges circulating packets
> between the wired and wireless networks.
>

>  What do you mean with "wireless access point"? My eth1? I think the bridge
> is ok. In one of my previous mails, you see the sniffer logging DHCP
> discovers on eth0 AND eth1

That's at the IP stack.  At the firmware level, most wireless cards will
refuse to transmit/receive packets with other MAC addresses, making them
useless for AP or bridging.  Yours is apparently not one of those since
bridging works in Windows (or else the Windows bridge code does transparent
routing w/MAC address replacement, rather like NAT or PAT but working at
layer 2 instead of 3).

That's why I suggested testing for the DHCP discover on a different wireless
node.