[Bridge] packet mangling and qos on bridge .

ratheesh k ratheesh.ksz at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 05:14:17 PDT 2009

 I have two interfaces , eth0 and ap0 bridged together to form br0 .
And another interfaces eth1 on wan side .

                   br0 <------------------------> eth1
               ( eth0 , ap0)
                 {  lan  }                         {wan}

packets from lan side are nated  to eth1 .  i have qos rules on both
br0 and eth1 .  when i googled i found that "mangling packets on br0
and using fw filters wont work on linux bridge ".. Is this true ?? Can
you tell me why ??

But the funny thing is i colored packets  in prerouting chain  only
specifying protocol ( not specifying interface )

 iptables  -t mangle -A PREROTUING -p icmp -j MARK --set-mark 2   and
i have filter rule to put  packets tat are fw marked as 2 to put into
some flow . This works fine , when i send an icmp packet from lan to

But if  try any of below rules  intsead of above ,  it wont work

iptables  -t mangle -A PREROTUING -p icmp -i br0 -j MARK --set-mark 2
iptables  -t mangle -A PREROTUING -p icmp  -s 192.168.1.0/24  -d !
192.168.1.0/24 -j MARK --set-mark 2
iptables  -t mangle -A FORWARD  -p icmp  -i br0 -o eth1 -j MARK --set-mark 2

i dont know y ????????

 I should go for ebtables to mark packets ???????? then it will work ???