[Bridge] MAC learning and VLAN

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Wed Aug 19 07:17:14 PDT 2009

Joakim Tjernlund <joakim.tjernlund at transmode.se> writes:

> Yes, this appears how linux impl. VLANs but I wonder if this
> is how VLAN aware switch would impl. it? Looing into 802.1Q it
> sees this is referred to as SVL resp. IVL? I guess linux only
> supports IVL?

Generally a VLAN aware switch is unable to bridge between different
VLAN's. You would be unable to configure your example except on the
fanciest of switches.

>> Imagine replacing eth0.1 with eth1 and eth0.2 with eth2. If a certain
>> MAC address is learned on eth1, it would be wrong to send packets
>> destined for that MAC address through eth2. That's pretty much the point
>> of bridging.
>
> Yes it would be wrong, but eth0.1 and eth0.2 are on the same physical LAN
> and could share learned MAC addresses but as it is impl. in linux
> it does not seem possible.

What would be the point? What is it you're trying to accomplish? If the
machines can communicate on VLAN 1, why do you want them to send traffic
on VLAN 2 instead?

/Benny