[Bridge] VLANs and bridge

Joakim Tjernlund joakim.tjernlund at transmode.se
Sat Aug 22 09:38:19 PDT 2009

Joakim Tjernlund/Transmode wrote on 22/08/2009 17:36:54:

> Simon Barber <simon at superduper.net> wrote on 22/08/2009 16:34:11:
> >
> > Hi Joakim,
> >
> > Look back a month or so in the archives - you'll find an email from me
> > referencing a patch to make the bridge VLAN aware. It's a little old,
> > and needs updating for 2.6 (it was written for 2.4) - but should not be
> > much work to get it done. There is a matching patch for the brctl utility.
> >
> > Simon
> >

> Thanks Simon
>
> Do you mean the "bridge vlan integration" patch?
> It is not clear to me if this would support the case
> described in B.1.3(802.1Q-2005), does it?
>
> Seems like there is little interest to post this to 2.6 and
> I am not sure how welcome this would be either, perhaps
> the bridge maintainer could comment?
>
>   Jocke

Thinking a bit more about this I could envision some changes to the
vlan code too. I image one could create one vlan interface which will listen
to several VLANs. One VLAN is the primary VLAN and is used in the tx path
by default. The bridge would be able to filter on individual VLANs received
from such interface and be able to chose outgoing VLAN too.

 Jocke