[Bridge] [RFC] macvlan: add tap device backend

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Mon Dec 14 04:00:36 PST 2009

On Saturday 12 December 2009, Herbert Xu wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 06:52:00PM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > This is a second prototype of a new interface into the network
> > stack, to eventually replace tun/tap and the bridge driver
> > in certain virtual machine setups. The code has changed
> > significantly, but the goals still remain.
>
> The idea looks pretty sound to me.

Thanks!

> > I'm posting this mainly to solicit feedback. Not sure how
> > chances for integration into 2.6.33 are, given that the merge
> > window is opening already.
>
> It's way too late for 2.6.33.  But the earlier this becomes ready
> then the earlier it can go into linux-next.

Right. Since the code is basically working (I have two known bugs
I'm still working on) and people want to test it, what is the
best path? I could
a) keep my git tree for myself,
b) have it added to linux-next,
c) prepare a combined patch for net-next.git, or
d) have it added to drivers/staging

	Arnd