[Bridge] new gretap, bridging and mtu

Jonathan Thibault jonathan at navigue.com
Tue Jan 6 15:07:09 PST 2009

Greetings all,

I've setup a new gretap device as per Herbert Xu's new patches and it
works as expected for smaller MTU.  I'm wondering if gretap tunnels
handle fragmentation at all or if this might be a bridge related issue.

The same setup works quite well if I use vtun with a tap device however,
so while this isn't entirely bridge-related, Maybe someone here might
have experienced the same problem or might have insight as to what's
causing the problem.  I imagine this might be more of an inherent
limitation in gretap than a bug but as I am not to good with coding, I
figured I'd ask smarter people ;)

                     network1        box1       network2
box2        network1
801.2q (1504 bytes max) <-> (eth1-br0-gretap eth0) <-> (eth0
gretap-br0-eth1) <-> 801.2q (1504 bytes max)

Jonathan