[Bridge] vlan and bond integration in bridge

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Tue Jan 13 06:32:53 PST 2009

"Lv Zheng" <lv.zheng at soliton.com.cn> writes:

> Switch port do support 802.1Q parameters will
> 1. drop untagged frames if it is configured to admit
>   only VLAN tagged frames and drop frames not
>   admitted
> 2. drop any tagged frames whose tag is not in the
>   VID set if it is configured to admit only VLAN
>   tagged frames and drop frames not admitted
> 3. handle any untagged frames as PVID tagged frames
>   if it is configured to admit untagged and
>   priority-tagged frames and handle such frames as
>   if they are coming from the default vlan
> 4. handle any tagged frames whose tag is not in the
>   VID set as PVID tagged frames if it is configured
>   to admit untagged and priority-tagged frames and
>   handle such frames as if they are coming from the
>   default vlan
>
> While Linux does not support such features.

I would prefer if Linux continued to not support those features. As it
is, you can get the untagged frames at eth0, the 100 tagged ones as
eth0.100, the 100+101 tagges ones as eth0.100.101 and so on. Linux
doesn't suffer from global VLAN significance and other switch
silliness, and I really hope it stays that way.

The only challenge is spanning tree, because Cisco figured out too
late that spanning tree packets should be per-VLAN. The sane solution
is to simply tag BPDU packets like all other packets. Linux does that,
but the rest of the world is stuck with MST or PVST.

/Benny