[Bridge] how to get a list of ip adresses

richardvoigt at gmail.com richardvoigt at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 18:41:52 PST 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 1:06 AM, Sebastian Gottschall (DD-WRT)
<s.gottschall at dd-wrt.com> wrote:
> ?ukasz Mierzwa schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm running kvm virtual machines with bridged networking with
>> libvirtd, virtual guests are getting ip addresses from dhcp, listing
>> interface information on kvm host gives me only bridge ip, there is no
>> information about guests ip assigned by dhcpd to tap interfaces that
>> are added to the bridge, is there any way to get this information from
>> kvm host system where the bridge is created? I couldn't find any
>> usable information on this subject, right now I need to check dhcp
>> leases or login over vnc. Thanks for any help.
> the bridging code is not responsible for tracking ip informations. you
> really have to check your dhcp leases which is the clean way.
> another trick is sending a broadcast ping to your client network and
> looking at the arp table. but this is just a dirty way

Sounds like a good place to use dynamic DNS.  This can be
dhcp-integrated (dnsmasq does this well, Windows server dns daemon
does it as well) or using a client inside the virtual machine to
register its name with a web service (no-ip.com, dyndns.org, etc.)