[Bridge] [Urgent Question] When we use a bridge interface, we can't connect the network occasionally.

김희영 wild1018 at naver.com
Sun Jun 7 19:08:53 PDT 2009

Hello, I'm Hee-Young.

Because I get trouble in using the Bridge, I send you this e-mail.
(A few days ago, I saw your e-mail address at the web site "http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Net:Bridge#FAQ".)

I want to know whether I use the bridge mode correctly.

[System Specification]

* My system is Redhat 9 (v2.4.28) and it's network driver is sk98lin, the version is v10.61.3.3.

[Network Configuration]

* L3(Public IP address) - My System (Use the bridge config) - L2 - hosts (about 50) (Public IP address)

* My system's network configuration is the following.
 ... It has 4 ports.
 ... The bridge's interface is szb0, which has the interface eth0 and eth1.
 ... The bridge szb0 has the public address because of connecting my system. (I monitor and manage my system)
 ... My network device is not placed into promiscuous and arp mode, but it receives all traffic on a network.
 ... My Kernel configuration is the following.
 /proc/sys/net/bridge/bridge-nf-* is all '1'.
 /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/proxy_arp is '1'.

[The problem]

Everyday I connect the network (as you know, I check my e-mali address, see the web page etc.).
Of course, I connect the network through my system.
But after I use my system for 15~16 days, I cannot connect the network.
It means I cannot check my e-mail address, and cannot see the web page.
But there isn't any log which I am enough to guess the reason through.
So when this phenomenon occurred, I initialized my network device. (i.e. ifconfig szb0 down, ifconfig szb0 up)
After I do, I can use network normally.
So, I send you.....Please help me....

What do you think the reason it doesn't work the bridge?
Hardware problem(port defect)? Bridge configuration problem?

Please help me....Thank you for reading.

Regarding,
Hee-Young

http://nametag.naver.com/0e0ea8RqZgN12kAHU