[Bridge] IP address on bridged interface

Dirk Gouders gouders at et.bocholt.fh-gelsenkirchen.de
Thu Mar 5 06:20:33 PST 2009

Hello,

I am currently playing with bridging to learn about various
possibilities to setup a bridge to enable networking for KVM guests.

I learned that I cannot use an IP address on one of the bridged
interfaces but have to assign that IP address to the bridge interface if
I want to use it to reach the bridge itself.

The documentation I found does not say much about this subject and I am
wondering whether there are situations when I can use IP addresses on
bridged interfaces or if it absolutely makes no sense to have an IP
address assigned to a bridged interface.

Any explanation or pointers are very welcome.

Dirk