[Bridge] Ubuntu: network bridging between wireless and wired connection fails

Jochen Hebbrecht jochenhebbrecht at gmail.com
Sat May 2 06:15:16 PDT 2009

Nicolas de Pesloüan schreef:

> Can you also explain why you are trying to use bridge ?
>
> Are you just trying to share a common IP address between two links
> (Ethernet and wifi), in order to switch automatically to wifi when you
> unplug the Ethernet wire, without loosing any active connections ?
>
> If this is what you are trying to do, you might try the bonding module
> instead of bridge, and have a look at the ifenslave-2.6 package from
> Debian, which should work on Ubuntu. This package enhance the ifupdown
> system and allow you to bond an Ethernet and a Wifi link, in an
> active/backup mode. An "Ethernet+wifi" example configuration is
> provided in the documentation.
>
> You configuration should look like this :
>
> auto bond0
> iface bond0 inet dhcp
>     bond-slaves eth0
>     bond-mode 1
>     bond-miimon 100
>     bond-primary eth0
>
> iface eth0 inet manual
> # Useless, unless NetworkManager is enabled on you system.
>
> auto eth1
> iface eth1 inet manual
>     bond-master bond0
>     bond-give-a-chance 10
>     wpa-bridge bond0
>     wpa-driver wext
>     wpa-ssid ##SSID##
>     wpa-ap-scan 1
>     wpa-proto RSN
>     wpa-pariwire CCMP
>     wpa-group CCMP
>     wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
>     wpa-psk ##PSK KEY##
>
> 'hope this help.
>
>     Nicolas.

Nicolas,

I'm not sure that bonding is the thing I need. I'll explain what I want
to do.

Please check this image: http://www.jochus.be/brol/networking.png
* Purple lines: wired (UTP)
* Blue (dashed) lines: wireless

So in this building, there are 2 locations. Location A and B. There's no
possibility to link them using a wired cable, and I don't like the net
adapters who transmits packets using the 50Hz channel.

In location A, there's a desktop and a notebook a. In location B,
there's a notebook, a server which maintains e-mails, backup,
Subversion, Archiva, ... and there's also printer (a network printer).

So, notebook B needs to print to the network printer, which is very easy
by using the switch that's on location B. So that works. But now I want
to print from location A on the desktop and notebook A. So I needed to
connect them in the same subnet of the networkprinter.

So, I wanted to created a bridge on the Ubuntu server (who has a
wireless WMP54G network card), and on eth0 an ethernet controller. So by
connecting eth0 to the switch, all notebooks and desktop would be able
to print to the networkprinter

This situation works fine if the server is running Windows, but not
Ubuntu as the bridge isn't working there :-(

Hope this clears out what I'm trying to do

Best regards,
Jochen