[Bridge] Ubuntu: network bridging between wireless and wired connection fails

Nicolas de Pesloüan nicolas.2p.debian at free.fr
Mon May 4 23:20:47 PDT 2009

Jochen Hebbrecht wrote:
> Nicolas de Pesloüan schreef:
>>
>> I think that the "Destination Host Unreachable" is caused by some sort
>> of "down link", because wpa_supplicant failed to establish the wifi
>> link. When eth1 is part of the br0, packets received on eth1 is
>> "forwarded" to br0 and not available on eth1. So wpa_supplicant must
>> be instructed to listen for incoming packets on br0, not on eth1.
>>
>> Can you try the exact same configuration, adding wpa-bridge br0 in the
>> eth1 stanza, to inform wpa_supplicant where to listen from ?
>>
>> auto lo
>> iface lo inet loopback
>>
>> auto eth1
>> iface eth1 inet manual
>> wpa-driver wext
>> wpa-ssid ##SSID##
>> wpa-ap-scan 1
>> wpa-proto RSN
>> wpa-pairwise CCMP
>> wpa-group CCMP
>> wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
>> wpa-psk ##PSK KEY##
>> wpa-bridge br0          <--- HERE.
>>
>> auto br0
>> iface br0 inet static
>> bridge_ports eth1
>> address 192.168.1.111
>> netmask 255.255.255.0
>> gateway 192.168.1.1

> I changed the configuration and restarted the networking daemon. I'm
> getting this output
>
> jochus at Bacardi ~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
> * Reconfiguring network
> interfaces...
> ioctl[SIOCGIFINDEX]: No such device
> Failed to open l2_packet connection for the bridge interface 'br0'
> wpa_supplicant: /sbin/wpa_supplicant daemon failed to start
> run-parts: /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wpasupplicant exited with return code 1

Can you also please try to change the order of the scanzas in
/etc/network/interfaces, so that iface br0 comes before iface eth1 in
the file ? ifup -a is expected to bring the interface in the order they
appear in the file...

Also, you could add "bridge-fd 0" in the br0 stanza. Because you bridge
is by design loop-free, there is no reason to wait 32 seconds before
entering the forwarding stat.

'hope this helps.

	Nicolas.