[Bridge] Ubuntu: network bridging between wireless and wired connection fails

Jochen Hebbrecht jochenhebbrecht at gmail.com
Tue May 5 13:52:16 PDT 2009

Jonathan Thibault schreef:
> I believe that to allow bridging on a 'client', you need to enable WDS on the interface (and likely on the AP as well).  Check to see if WDS is supported by your driver.  Basically (but I could be wrong), it is an 'ethernet over wifi' encapsulation since the wifi does not allow for mac spoofing on a client endpoint which would be required for normal bridging.

Thnx Jonathan. I found this information:
________________________________

Doing full bridging of wireless (802.11) requires supporting WDS
<http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/index.php?title=Net:WDS&action=edit&redlink=1>.
The current implementation doesn't do it.

It is possible to do limited wireless to Ethernet functionality with
some wireless drivers. This requires the device to be able to support a
different sender address and source address. That is what WDS provides.

There are ways to make it work, but it is not always straightforward and
you probably won't get it right without a pretty solid understanding of
802.11, it's modes, and the frame header format.

... so, the current implementation doesn't do it? So I can conclude
Linux isn't ready for bridging a wired and wireless network?
I didn't install any drivers for my wireless card, so I assume it uses
the default driver of Ubuntu.