[Bridge] Ubuntu: network bridging between wireless and wired connection fails

Jochen Hebbrecht jochenhebbrecht at gmail.com
Sat May 9 04:17:26 PDT 2009

Nicolas de Pesloüan schreef:
> bridge-hw and bridge_hw is exactly the same. (No difference between
> underscore and dash). Both will set a variable $IF_BRIDGE_HW, to be
> used by the scripts in /etc/network/if-*.d/*.
>
> From interfaces(5) : "Additionally, all options given in an interface
> definition stanza are exported to the environment in upper case with
> "IF_" prepended and with hyphens converted to underscores and
> non-alphanumeric characters discarded."
Ah, ok, thnx!

> This is unfortunately what I expected.
>
> Now, you can have a last try with your current bridge configuration,
> by upgrading the firmware of your router, ensuring WDS is enabled in
> the router, and hope that the driver of your wifi adapter support
> WDS... By the way, what is the type of your wifi adapter ?
I had a "chat" with somebody of the support site of Linksys. The WRT54GS
enables WDS. So we can say this is my problem. My wifi adapter is a WMP54G

> If that fail, I think we have two options :
>
> - Try to setup a very special bridge configuration, with some sort of
> masquerading of the MAC address. This would require at least to use
> ebtables to replace the source MAC address in the header (and in the
> payload for ARP) of packets sent on the wifi interface, to route
> packets in the server, to stop the server from sending ICMP redirect
> in the wifi interface and to setup a proxy_dhcp on the server. It
> would be hard to setup, hard to debug and impossible to maintain...
> Probably not a good idea... Funny to try, but not a good target.
This really sounds like Chinese in my ears :-D

> - Setup a simple router configuration on the server, using another
> private subnet on location B. Using a simple NAT/Masquerading
> configuration (with iptables), it could be possible to hide the subnet
> of location B from location A, but still allow access to the printer
> of location B from location A and access to location A and to Internet
> from location B. If you don't have a really good reason to stick to
> bridge (like using a non-IP protocol), I suggest you try this.
I was thinking on this situation too. But how will be somebody in subnet
A able to reach someone of subnet B? We are gonna have to change the
routing tables on the client side too?

Jochen