[Bridge] Distributed RSTP

NITIN SS hi.nitin2000 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 13:22:44 PDT 2009

Hi,

I am new to this RSTP/Bridge group and currently planning on distributed
RSTP.

First of all, Distributed RSTP mean as, we will have 8 linux RSTPs and they
all will have the same Bridge ID.
As all bridges will have the same Bridge ID so I need to sync many variables
functions across all units.
Additionally there should be only one root port for all the eight bridges.
In this way there should be one master which would be maintaing bridge
variables and controlling bridge operations.
There is only point to point link between all bridges through master.
Additioanlly most of the RSTP state machines are port based so it looks
feasible.

As your guys are RSTP experts, so i think it would be the right place to get
suggestions/comments.

-What would be the limitations/complex Issues?
-Is it feasible?
 At top level it looks like there would be lot of efforts with respect to
final outcome.
-Is there any implementation of distributed RSTP?

Appreciate your comments.

Regards,
Nitin