[Bridge] Bridge and VLANs. Strange behaviour.

Gustavo Martin gu.martinm at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 20:14:57 PDT 2009

Hello list,

      I am trying to understand how the linux-based bridges work but I am
watching very strange things.

      For example, if I have this configuration for the bridge BR0 with 2
physical interfaces eth0 and eth1:

[image: trying1.jpg]

     If PC1 sends an ARP REQUEST, PC2 receives this ARP REQUEST but they are
in different VLANs!
     Why the VLAN 20 can receive ARP REQUEST messages from the VLAN 10 and
why the VLAN 10 can receive ARP REPLY messages from VLAN 20 if they are
different VLANs? This is crazy for me.
     I think linux-based bridges don't work very well with VLANs (probably I
am wrong because I am just a beginner)
     Can someone help me to understand that? Your help would be very
appreciated. :-)

Thanks in advance and sorry for my English.

--
Gustavo Martín Morcuende