[Bridge] Bridging vSwitches in VMwares ESXi

Robert LeBlanc robert at leblancnet.us
Tue Apr 6 18:08:35 PDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 5:57 PM, Ryan King <ryank at globaldial.com> wrote:

> I've also had the exact same issues.  However, if I move one of the vNICs to
> a vSwitch using a different physical nic, then the issue seems to go away.

In my experience, as long as you only have on pNIC per vSwitch, it
works just fine. As soon as you add a second pNIC to the vSwitch, it
creates a loop and confuses the linux bridge (you can watch the MAC
bounce between ports if you do a standard ping from one machine and a
broadcast ping from another machine). We were using Broadcom NICs.

Robert LeBlanc
Life Sciences & Undergraduate Education Computer Support
Brigham Young University