[Bridge] RSTP-Linux Bridge (2.6 Kernel) query

voxner voxner.dev at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 02:35:35 PDT 2010

Hi all,

I am fairly new to Bridging, and I have been trying to understand the
Bridge-RSTP communication. I have an RSTP implementation running in
user-space and I would like to use the existing Linux bridge data-structures
(like net_bridge, net_bridge_port used in Linux 2.6) so that I have a
Linux-Bridge/RSTP setup. For this I need to introduce some sort of
communication mechanism (maybe IOCTL calls) to alter these data-structures
by my RSTP.

My idea is to disable STP (thus making sure that routines like
br_configuration_update() are not called) and then use a communication
mechanism to alter bridge/bridge-port states(stored in net_bridge) of kernel
from my RSTP.