[Bridge] Ethernet Bridge with VLAN TAG

shailesh panchal shaileshpanchal123 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 21:29:00 PST 2010

Requirement: Implement the bridge mode with VLAN TAG in 5VT EVM board

    5VT EVM board has two ethernet port eth0 and eth1. We want to create the
Ethernet bridge using the eth0 and eth1 port.

    We find bridge util on the 5VT EVM board name is brctl.

    Please see the picture file for more network setup.

    In the network setup we have one swich three PC and 5VT EVM board.

    Eth0 of 5VT is connected with PC1
    Eth1 of 5VT is connected with switch
    PC2 and PC3 is connected with switch

    VLAN Configuration
    Eth0 of 5VT has VLAN 5
    Eth1 of 5VT has VLAN 7
    PC2 has the VLAN 5
    PC3 has the VLAN 7
    PC1 has no VLAN

1)    Now, PC1 want to ping the PC2.

    PC1 generated packet first go to Eth0 of 5VT, Now Eth0 Add the VLAN 5 in
packet and then forward to Eth1 of 5VT because 5VT is working in bridge mode
Now Eth1 of 5VT send the packet to switch and switch forward the packet ot
PC2 and PC3, Now PC2 accept the packet and reply it.

    Simlarly when PC2 ping PC1 it get the reply of it.

2)    5VT want to ping PC3

    5VT generated packet first go to Eth1, Now Eth1 Add the VLAN 7 in packet
and send the packet to switch and switch forward the packet ot PC2 and
PC3,then PC3 accept the packet and reply it.

    Simlarly when PC3 ping 5VT it get the reply of it.

3)    PC2 want to ping 5VT

    It can not get replay because different VLAG TAG
    Simplary PC2 can not ping the PC1

So, please provide the guidence about it how we can achive this
functionality in 5VT EVM board.

Regards,
shailesh