[Bridge] Why should static MAC address match one of the port MAC addresses - bug?

Rolf Fokkens rolf.fokkens at wanadoo.nl
Sun Dec 19 14:26:22 PST 2010

Hi All,

Despite of what Stephen explains, I'm having the problem Michiel
describes as well. I have a bridge br2 containing 1 (but potentially
more) tap interface for kvm. Windows 7 VM doesn't like the bridge mac
address to change, so I try to make it fixed.

ifconfig br2 hw ether 02:00:00:00:01:02

Interface br2 becomes instantly unreachable from the VM (via the tap
interface). No arp response or anything else.

So, Michiel's claim seems to be true: the bridge mac address should
apparently be one of the bridge interfaces. But I don't see the logic,
this seems like a bug to me.

kernel is Fedora kernel-2.6.35.9-64.fc14.x86_64.

Cheers,

Rolf