[Bridge] using bridges to connect vlans and untagged data

Zoilo Gomez zoilo at xs4all.nl
Sun Feb 21 17:12:41 PST 2010

Thank you Richard.

Anyway, I just found the solution while re-reading the FAQ
http://ebtables.sourceforge.net/misc/brnf-faq.html (see section 3: How
do I let vlan-tagged traffic go through a vlan bridge port and the other
traffic through a non-vlan bridge port?).

And lo-and-behold - after adding the ebtables rule ....

ebtables -t broute -A BROUTING -j DROP -i eth1 -p 802_1Q --vlan-id 23

.... now everything works like a charm!

I can now ping through br1 as well (br0 was never a problem) -
vlan23-traffic arriving on eth1 does not get bridged, but instead the
vlan23-tag is stripped and the packet then arrives magically on my
vlan23-interface.

Only after reading this part for the 3rd time just now, I suddenly
understood the meaning, added the brouter rule, and done.

Thank you all for your support,

Z.