[Bridge] [ebtables]Explanation of the packet flow...

Jean-Michel Hautbois jhautbois at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 00:16:41 PST 2010

Hi everybody !

I am trying to understand the "PacketFlow.png" image from the website.
I have several misunderstanding, especially on the "Bridging Decision" circles.

I would like to understand which way a packet takes when the rule on
-A INPUT -j ACCEPT is on, for example. When looking at the packet
flow, I would say it is going to the "routing decision" circle, but, I
am not sure...

I would also like to understand what is necessary in order to have a
packet transparently directed from one interface to the other. I would
say that only the "-A FORWARD -j ACCEPT" rule is necessary, but
Wireshark doesn't agree with me...

Thanks in advance for your help.
Best Regards,
JM