[Bridge] [ebtables]Explanation of the packet flow...

Jean-Michel Hautbois jhautbois at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 09:48:32 PST 2010

2010/1/16 Bart De Schuymer <bdschuym at pandora.be>:
> Jean-Michel Hautbois schreef:
>> Hi everybody !
>>
>> I am trying to understand the "PacketFlow.png" image from the website.
>> I have several misunderstanding, especially on the "Bridging Decision" circles.
>>
>> I would like to understand which way a packet takes when the rule on
>> -A INPUT -j ACCEPT is on, for example. When looking at the packet
>> flow, I would say it is going to the "routing decision" circle, but, I
>> am not sure...
>>

> It is handed to the IP layer, which includes a routing decision.

But this is only true for L3 layer ?
Or routing decision is at a L2 level, in order to decide whether to
bridge should route a packet up to the IP layer or not. That's it ?

>> I would also like to understand what is necessary in order to have a
>> packet transparently directed from one interface to the other. I would
>> say that only the "-A FORWARD -j ACCEPT" rule is necessary, but
>> Wireshark doesn't agree with me...
>>

> Ebtables is used to filter bridged traffic. You can't use ebtables to
> direct a packet to another interface.

Well, when a bridge is between two interfaces, this is quite the same
than saying it is forwarded from one to the other, in my point of
view. No ?

JM