[Bridge] IP address on physcial interface instead of bridge interface?

Joakim Tjernlund joakim.tjernlund at transmode.se
Thu Mar 25 09:42:04 PDT 2010

Currently it isn't possible to to have an IP address on one of interfaces
attached to a bridge, one must always put the IP address on the bridge interface itself.

I wonder if there is a technical reason for that? I would love to be able
to be able to chose any ONE interface attached to the bridge.
Example:
Assume br0 bridge with two interfaces attached, eth0 and eth1.
Then I would like to assign the IP address to eth0 instead of
br0. Ideally one should be able to just attach eth0 with an existing IP address
to br0.

    Jocke