[Bridge] IP address on physcial interface instead of bridge interface?

richardvoigt at gmail.com richardvoigt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 14:42:52 PDT 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Joakim Tjernlund
<joakim.tjernlund at transmode.se> wrote:

> Nicolas de Pesloüan <nicolas.2p.debian at free.fr> wrote on 2010/03/26 21:39:33:
>
>> From: Nicolas de Pesloüan <nicolas.2p.debian at free.fr>
>> To: Joakim Tjernlund <joakim.tjernlund at transmode.se>
>> Cc: bridge at lists.linux-foundation.org
>> Date: 2010/03/26 21:39
>> Subject: Re: [Bridge] IP address on physcial interface instead of bridge interface?
>>
>> Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
>>
>> > Figure a small picture will help so here it is:
>> >
>> > Before adding eth0 to br0:
>> > eth0    br0
>> > HW controller
>> >
>> > after adding eth0 to br0:
>> > eth0
>> >   \
>> >    \
>> >      br0
>> >    /
>> >   /
>> > HW controller
>>
>> I don't understand your ascii art. What is HW controller ? eth0 is an hardware
>> controller !?
>>
>>    Nicolas.
>
> eth0 is the I/F IP stack will see/use. HW controller is the ethernet HW controller,
> the PCI HW if you like.

No!

br0 does NOT sit between eth0 and the NIC.  eth0 still represents the
NIC.  br0 sits on top, and represents the combined traffic stream from
eth0 and all other bridge ports.  By adding eth0 to the bridge, you
told it to forward all incoming frames to br0 which is the next higher
layer in the virtual interface hierarchy.