[Bridge] MAC address in bridge device

frank frank at si.ct.upc.edu
Fri May 21 02:03:35 PDT 2010

Hi all,
we have a couple of Red Hat 5 servers with OpenVZ with some virtual
machines (VEs). This virtual machines have veths (virtual ethernet
devices), and this devices are attached to a bridge device with main
node ethernet.

# brctl show
vzbr2        8000.001851cfe1c3    no        veth130.0
                                                                  eth0
The bridge device also has an IP because we need to reach host with an
IP in this subnet.
We have noticed a problem:

When we boot the main host, the bridge takes the IP we have defined to
it and the MAC af the eth0 device. That's ok.
But when a veth is joined to the bridge device, this one takes the MAC
of the veth device, so MAC bridge device changes; of course this cause
different kind of network problems because all hosts which were
connected still has the old MAC in its arp table.

We have revised a lot of things, but we don't find any explanation. Does
anybody  know a possible cause of this behaviour?
Where can we look to get more information? Is the bridge working as
expected?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Regards.

Frank
UPC - Terrassa (Barcelona)

--
Aquest missatge ha estat analitzat per MailScanner
a la cerca de virus i d'altres continguts perillosos,