[Bridge] About local delivery of bridged packets

Aijaz Baig aijazbaig1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 06:01:08 PDT 2010

Aijaz Baig <aijazbaig1 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to understand how does the bridging code determine if the packet
is
> to be delivered locally or is it to be forwarded. Before being delivered
> locally, I mean the packet is to be delivered either to br0 or to a non
enslaved
> interface. If I am wrong here, please do correct me..................

Hello,

Heres answering my own question partially. Since the bridge which is after all a
virtual interface takes one of the L2 addresses of its interfaces (is it the
first real interface which is enslaved?), any packet which is destined with this
L2 dest address in its eth header, will be considered locally destined.

This simple fact solves my issue.

Regards,
Aijaz