[Bridge] Giving enslaved interface an IP?

Thomas Taranowski tom at baringforge.com
Mon Oct 18 19:16:18 PDT 2010

I have bridged eth0 and eth1, where eth0 is the world, and eth1 has
some locally administered targets with normal IPs.  On eth1, I also
have some other devices with 192.168.x.x addresses I locally assigned.
 I'd like to give my eth1 a 192.168.x.x address, and treat the
192.168.x.x network as something like a local network, where anything
else get's bridged across to eth0.  I'm running into some problems.

First, when I try to ping anything on the 192.168.x.x network, it
get's sent out the wrong interface ( eth0 ), rather than eth1.  I
expected the bridge to broadcast the arp request to both interfaces.

Second, giving eth1 an ip address, in addition to being bridged, had
no obvious effect.  Can I even do this?

Any suggestions on where to look for additional information on this,
or things to try?

Thanks,
Tom