[Bridge] VLAN traffic through an Ethernet Bridge

Erik Schweigert ejschweigert at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 10:46:38 PDT 2010

Hello all,

I have configured a transparent ethernet bridge containing two network
interfaces: eth0, eth1 in br0.  IP forwarding is enabled i.e. cat
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward = 1.

All traffic destined through my Linux machine has the 802.1Q tag
(VLAN).  However, only ARP with the VLAN tags passes through the
machine correctly (100% of the time) and broadcast and multicast
appears to work.  It 'seems' IP layer and above is being dropped if it
is unicast, or intermittently works ( +/- 1 of 10 ICMP passes
through).

All non-VLAN'd traffic passes through my machine flawlessly.

arptables, ebtables, and IPtables are all flushed, so there is no
possibility of any traffic being blocked.

Is there a caveat with ethernet bridging that does not permit VLAN'd traffic?

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Erik