[Bridge] brctl problem: broadcast doesn't get through

Ireneusz Szcześniak irek.szczesniak at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 10:31:22 PDT 2011

On 24.04.2011 18:40, Stephen Hemminger wrote:

> 00:00:00:00:00:00 is an invalid ethernet address and is always dropped
> by bridge to be in compliance with standards.  Use a real ethernet address,
> for kernel devices there is a convenience routine to generate a random ethernet
> address.

Thanks for your input.  The 00:00:00:00:00:00 address is not used as
the destination address of the frame, because I passed the -b option
of the etherwake tool, and so the broadcast address was used.  Also,
the frames generated by arping are broadcasted, and they don't reach tap1.

In my tests tap0 and tap1 are not used by any program that connects to
them; the tap0 and tap1 interfaces have been added and are reported by
ifconfig.  However, if I instruct qemu to use tap0, and then in the
virutal machine I make the very same tests, I can see broadcast frames
on tap1.

--
Ireneusz (Irek) Szczesniak
http://www.irkos.org