[Bridge] mind-boggling questions

Ireneusz Szcześniak irek.szczesniak at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 02:37:14 PDT 2011

Hi,

I have a few questions on the Linux bridge, and I would appreciate it
if someone could answer them.

1. Why does a bridge have a MAC address?  A bridge doesn't need a MAC
address. I understand that a Linux box might offer more than a regular
switch, and for that you need a MAC address. But the services should
be provided by a new tap interface added to the bridge. I believe that
the bridge should not even be shown by ifconfig.

2. Why does a bridge take the lowest MAC address of the interfaces
connected to it?

3. When I send broadcast frames to a bridge interface (etherwake -b -i
br0 00:00:00:00:00:00), the frames are received by the interfaces of
the bridge.  But when I send the frames to one of the interfaces, they
are not broadcasted to other interfaces.  I though that the bridge
interface (br0) behaves the same as an interface added to the bridge,
but I was mistaken.  What are the differences?

Thanks,
Irek

--
Ireneusz (Irek) Szczesniak