[Bridge] Problems with bridging and bonding - bridge learns MAC on incorrect port

Max Bowsher _ at maxb.eu
Tue Aug 9 05:54:07 PDT 2011

I've recently been setting up what I would hope would be a not too
uncommon configuration, and seem to be encountering an unfortunate
interaction between bridging and bonding.

My configuration is:

* eth0 and eth1: Physical network adapters connected to the same
switched network.

* bond0: active-backup bonding device slaving together eth0 and eth1

* bond0.11: VLAN interface on top of the above

* br0: Bridge to which bond0.11 is added.

And then I am starting KVM virtual machines, which obtain their network
connectivity via tap interfaces, which are added to br0.

I see intermittent connectivity problems from the VMs, which manifest
when the bridge becomes confused, and erroneously learns that the VM MAC
address is present on the bond0.11 port of the bridge.

I have discovered that this occurs when the VM sends an ethernet
broadcast - e.g. ARP query.

It seems that the ethernet broadcast re-enters the machine on the backup
bonding interface, and on reaching the bridge, causes it to
inappropriately learn that the virtual machine is on the physical
network side of the bridge.

Can anyone suggest any way to address this problem?

Thanks,
Max.