[Bridge] possible bridge regression in "bridge: implement [add/del]_slave ops"?

David Lamparter equinox at diac24.net
Fri Jul 1 03:08:33 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 10:08:19AM -0700, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 10:33:23 +0200
> Alexander Stein <alexander.stein at systec-electronic.com> wrote:
>
> > * echo $(pgrep rstpd) > /var/run/rstpd.pid
> > * brctl addbr br1
> > * echo 1 > /sys/class/net/br1/bridge/stp_state
>
> This bogus. You are running both kernel and spanning
> tree daemon at the same time!
>
> Doing the echo of 1 to stp_state forces kernel spanning
> tree. You want 2 which is what is supposed to be use for user
> mode spanning tree.

I just tested this on my box, you can't echo 2 into that sysfs file (it
reads back as 1).

That you can change this variable at all when an userspace stp
implementation is running is a bug anyway, IMHO. rstpd should do all the
required settings and the kernel should prevent them from being changed
while rstpd has the bridge under its control.

-David