[Bridge] [patch net-next-2.6 v2] net: consolidate and fix ethtool_ops->get_settings calling

Ben Hutchings bhutchings at solarflare.com
Fri Sep 2 11:46:01 PDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-02 at 14:26 +0200, Jiri Pirko wrote:
> This patch does several things:
> - introduces __ethtool_get_settings which is called from ethtool code and
>   from dev_ethtool_get_settings() as well.
> - dev_ethtool_get_settings() becomes rtnl wrapper for
>   __ethtool_get_settings()
[...]

I don't like this locking change.  Most other dev_*() functions require
the caller to hold RTNL, and it will break any OOT module calling
dev_ethtool_get_settings() without producing any warning at compile
time.  Why not put an ASSERT_RTNL() in it instead?

The rest of this looks fine.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Staff Engineer, Solarflare
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.